by Linda Freeman-Webster
Sweat, Strength & Stretch (S3) Details
Goal/emphasis: total body
Total time: 1 hour
Equipment: yoga mats, one set of “heavy” dumbbells (10–12 pounds) and one set of “light” dumbbells (5–8 pounds) per person, jump ropes (or resistance bands), and a timer or stopwatch for the instructor
Music: Play a midtempo mix (132–135 beats per minute) for the warmup and main class, and then switch to a slower mind-body/mellow mix for the last 10 minutes, which is all yoga-based. If you’re making your own playlist, search for a variety of styles, genres and lengths to potentially avoid needing a timer/stopwatch (sync movements to music).
Warmup (5 minutes)
Perform each of the following for 30 seconds:
- alternating knee lifts (pull knee into chest)
- alternating hip circles (roll shoulders back)
- alternating hamstring curls (gently pull foot closer to glute)
- alternating side lunges (reach arm across body)
- alternating high front kicks (reach opposite arm toward toe with big arm circle)
- alternating reverse lunges (reach arm up to ceiling)
- step-out squats right and left (reach arms forward)
- sumo squats
Hold last squat and shift side to side for 10–20 seconds. Walk out to plank and do 5–10 pushups (modification: from knees). Walk hands back to feet and roll up through spine.
This class includes these components:
- a 5-minute warmup
- five 9-minute work segments consisting of 3 minutes of cardio, 3 minutes of strength and 3 minutes of yoga
- 10 minutes of yoga practice for cooldown and stretch
Segment One (9 minutes)
- Place jump rope or band in long line on floor.
- Do lateral shuffle along length of rope (30 seconds).
- Step forward and backward over rope while moving side to side (30 seconds).
- Perform small side hops with both feet over rope while moving forward and backward (30 seconds).
- Repeat all.
Strength (heavy weights)
- Lunge back on R foot and do biceps curl with L arm; return to start and continue, 1 minute.
- Switch to other side and repeat, 1 minute.
- For last minute, perform bilateral triceps kickbacks from forward-bend position. Switch to lighter weights if needed.
- Perform 2–3 rounds of sun salutation A, flowing from one posture to the next.
- Hold downward-facing dog for 2 breaths.
- Keep an even flow. Focus on the breath and do not stop for any significant amount of time.
Segment Two (9 minutes)
- Do jumping jacks, 30 seconds. Offer low-impact options.
- Do high knees or fast marching, 30 seconds.
- Lightly leap or step side to side, 30 seconds (over the yoga mat is a fun option).
- Repeat all.
Strength (one light weight)
- Start in side plank, holding weight in upper hand, arm at side.
- Perform lateral raises, bringing arm slightly higher than parallel to floor, 30 seconds.
- Transition to pushups, 1 minute.
- Do side-plank series on other side, 30 seconds.
- For last minute, hold forearm plank or high plank or do more pushups.
- Flow through sun salutation B, holding final downward-facing dog for 2 breaths.
- After 2 cycles, if time permits, do alternating leg lifts from downward-facing dog, opening front hips.
Segment Three (9 minutes)
- Jump rope for 1 minute.
- Perform fast feet for 1 minute, emphasizing athletic-ready position.
- Transition to high skipping in place.
Strength (one heavy weight)
- Hold dumbbell at chest.
- Squat with alternating knee lifts and torso rotation, 1 minute.
- Hold weight overhead with both hands and do alternating lateral flexion, 30 seconds.
- Repeat all.
- Move through 2–3 rounds of sun salutation C.
- Choose from knee-down hip flexor stretch, crescent lunge, standing lunge twist, etc.
- Hold each posture for just 1–2 breaths. Allow participants to feel lengthening in the muscles without becoming too static.
NEW FILM 2018 WWW.FILMSTREAMVF.INFO TOP FILM 2018